We get it if you don't wear white because you're afraid of dropping food on it or spilling your drink. Trying to figure out how to get a stain out of white t-shirts is one of the most frustrating laundry problems. This is true whether the color is tomato sauce, a blue pen, or red wine. The worst thing that could happen? You can't get rid of that annoying little stain, so you must buy a new one. But don't grab your wallet so quickly.
It's hard to get stains out of a white t-shirt, but the good news is that it's not impossible. As long as you act quickly, the odds are in your favor that your favorite staple can still be saved. All you have to do is stay calm and use the tips and tricks for getting rid of the stains below.
How to Get Rid of Dirt, Mud, or Grass Stains
- Spray your homemade all-purpose cleaning solution (described above) onto the stained area and allow it to sit for five to fifteen minutes.
- Tougher stains may require an overnight soak in warm water containing one teaspoon of laundry detergent mixed with one-fourth cup of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, or an oxygen booster.
- The next day, wash as usual in the washing machine.
How to Get Rid of Fruit Juice, Coffee, and Tea Stains
- In a bowl, combine one tablespoon of white vinegar and one teaspoon of castile soap. Soak the stained shirt for 30 minutes in the solution.
- Apply baking soda or oxygen bleach to the stain and rub vigorously.
- Use cold water to wash.
- Whenever necessary, repeat.
How to Get Rid of Fruit and Tomato Sauce Stains
- It's best to treat it as soon as possible. Use cold water to wet the stain.
- Spray some cleaning solution on a clean rag, and then use your fingers to gently rub the fabric together.
- Blot the stain and wash it off with cold water.
- As you work to get the stain out from the front, keep a clean cloth behind the spot.
- Soak overnight if needed in ¼ cup baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide.
How to Get Rid of Red or Pink Wine Stains
- Use a damp white cotton cloth to dab the red wine stain and soak up any extra wine.
- Spray on a homemade cleaner made of a quarter cup of hydrogen peroxide, two tablespoons of castile soap, and a few drops of lemon essential oil, and rub gently.
- If you need to, sprinkle baking soda or hydrogen peroxide on the stain, spray it again, and rub it.
- Wait 15 minutes and then rinse it with cold water.
- If the stain is still there, soak the item in a mixture of 1 tsp of laundry detergent, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide for another 15 minutes overnight.
How to Get Rid of Chocolate Stains
- Remove excess chocolate.
- Spray the chocolate stain with an all-purpose stain remover and rub lightly with a cloth until the stain is gone.
- Soak overnight in 14 cups of baking soda with hydrogen peroxide and wash in cold water.
How to Get Rid of Blood Stains
- Run cold water through the shirt from the back of the blood stain as soon as possible.
- Keep running water through the fabric for another minute or two while gently rubbing it together under the running water. This will help the blood get out of the fabric even more.
- If you need to, spray the stain with your all-purpose stain remover and pour hydrogen peroxide over it.
- Let sit for 15 minutes, then wash with cold water.
- If the stain doesn't come out, do it again or spray it with an all-purpose cleaning solution, rub it gently with a brush, and then rinse it with cold water.
How to Get Rid of Stains from Deodorant
- Using an antiperspirant or a deodorant with aluminum every day can change the bacteria in your armpits. This can make your sweat smell worse and leave yellow stains.
- Half a cup of hydrogen peroxide, two tablespoons of baking soda, one teaspoon of cleaning concentrate, and a quarter cup of water should be mixed together.
- Put the mixture on the stain and move it around.
- Let it sit for a few hours.
- Use the cold water cycle to wash the shirt.
- If the stain is still there, soak the item in a mixture of one scoop of Oxygen Boost and enough water to cover it for 15 minutes to one day before putting it in the dryer.
How to Get Rid of Sweat Stains
- Mix 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide with 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of cleaning concentrate or castile soap, and 1/4 cup of water.
- Apply the mixture to the stain and rub it in. Let it sit for two hours before washing the shirt in cold water.
- If the stain is still there, soak the item in a scoop of oxygen boost, wash it, and put it in the dryer again.
How to Get Rid of Lipstick Stain
- Use a damp cloth or paper towel to wipe up the extra.
- Let the stain sit for 3–5 minutes after you spray it.
- Work it into the stain, and then use a damp cloth to take it off.
- Using 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, oxygen booster, and/or vinegar as a soak, soak for 15 minutes to overnight if necessary.
How to Get Rid of Makeup Stains
- In a cup, combine 1 tsp each of laundry detergent, baking soda, and cold water to make a mixture.
- Use a washcloth to rub the spot after dipping it in the solution.
- If the stain is hard to get out, soak the shirt overnight in a mixture of 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and vinegar.